Most people are not quick to admit they have a bad credit score. Aside from the fact that finances are personal, it can be embarrassing to let others know you are having financial trouble. Fortunately, you don't have to be stuck in this position forever. It is possible to change your credit score in as little as 30 days if you are ready to tackle it. Here are some tips for getting started.
- Get a copy of your credit report. You are entitled to one free copy a year, so you can plan to order one every four months from the three major credit reporting bureaus.
- Dispute errors on your report. Look over everything with a fine-toothed comb. Mistakes can happen so make sure your report is accurate.
- Negotiate with creditors. Ask what you can do erase any debt that went to collection. You might also be able to request a goodwill adjustment. If your prior paying history was positive, you might be able to have certain things removed from your credit report.
- Check your credit limits. You don't want to look like you are maxing out your credit cards every month. Ask for adjustments if needed.
- Apply for one or two credit cards. As long as you don't charge too much, plan to use your card and pay your bills on time. Appropriate use of credit will help to build your credit score.
- Pay your bills on time or in advance. If you are forgetful, use auto payment. Paying on time makes up a large part of your credit score.
At Hometown Auto, we are here to help you build your credit. If you have bad credit or no credit history, we can offer you the stability you need to purchase a vehicle and keep up with the payments. Hometown Auto will offer you a financing plan even when other banks or financial institutions have turned you down. Come see us today at our High Point or Winston-Salem location for more information.