Maybe you've been thinking about buying a new vehicle for yourself so that you can take that much-needed road trip this summer. Perhaps, your child is starting college in a few months and needs a reliable car. If your summer schedule allows you a little extra time to get organized, now is the perfect time to work on improving your credit. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Get a copy of your credit report and check for inaccuracies. Make sure no late payments are incorrectly listed for any of your accounts and that the amount owed is correct. If you find any errors, you will need to dispute them with the credit bureau.
- Pay your bills on time. Set up a reminder on your phone or have payments automatically deducted from your account to avoid late payments and additional fees. Try to pay more than the minimum amount on credit card bills so you can begin to chip away at your debt.
- Reduce the amount of debt owed. This step will take some time, but if you can stop using your credit cards and pay with cash, it will help. Come up with a payment plan and pay toward the credit cards with the highest interest rates first.
- Build your credit by showing a positive payment history. Purchase your new vehicle at Hometown Auto, and we will set you up with a manageable payment plan so you can improve your financial future. Even if you have bad credit, Hometown Auto can offer you financing.
- If you are having trouble paying your bills, seek assistance from a credit counseling service. They can help you get a handle on managing your bills and payments.
Fixing your credit score takes time. It will not change overnight, but if you commit to making a change, you will start to see your score go up. To begin building positive credit today, visit Hometown Auto at one of our convenient locations in High Point or Winston-Salem.